Tuesday, June 3, 2008

R.I.P. Yves Saint Laurent, Part Deux

DAHLINGS -

It has not escaped my notice that the so-called "vintage community" has simply exploded with tributes to the late, greatly lamented Yves Saint Laurent.

And along with these tributes, there are usually several listings of vintage Saint Laurent, should you not be too grief-stricken to buy them. I admit, I have some Rive Gauche in stock, but the thought of listing it now sickens me.

In the meantime, I wish to draw your attention to a brilliant article by Cathy Horyn, the fashion critic for The New York Times, "Yves of Destruction," published in 2000:

http://tinyurl.com/5zwewv

It is truly one of the most penetrating, least cliche'd examinations of a tormented personality that I have ever read. Absolutely devastating and brilliant.

I know at times I throw those words around lightly, but not now. And her blog, "On The Runway," puts Saint Laurent into historical perspective better than anyone else I have read.

Ciao,
Elisa & Bucky The Wonderdog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...