Saturday, February 13, 2010

New York Fashion Week, Thursday, Feb 11, Part One

DAHLINGS -

Forgive my not having written sooner, but I was struck down by...tonsillitis yesterday! I awoke, barely able to speak, my body all aching and wracked with pain, tote that barge, lift that bale...

My apologies. Mixing ibuprofen and bourbon was perhaps not the smartest thing to do.

HOWEVER, day one of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week was the usual frenzy, and it was delightful to be back. This is the last show in Bryant Park, due to the protests of the locals. (The official spin is that MBFW has "grown too big" for Bryant Park. If it makes you feel better to say that, than do so by all means..)

The strange little man with the painted suits has added an accessory: a young girl with a double belly-button piercing dressed in what can only be called a Hooters version of his outfit. At one point in the evening she opened her cropped (extremely cropped) jacket to expose her breasts, barely contained by a blue demi-bra. Much to their mutual disappointment, flashbulbs did not go off.

Your faithful correspondent was wearing a delightful hat called the Schaperelli (sp) by Ellen Christine, and a long authentic Victorian cape with a velvet collar. It was a wonderful combination of whimsy and intimidation. I was the darling of the paparazzi.


My INVALUABLE assistant, who is so much more intelligent than the lumpkin I am dictating this to, was coaxed into a photo with moi. Note her coy shyness.



There is so much to write about that I am breaking this into two posts. We arrived in time for the Ports 1961 show, which, to be honest, left me deeply unimpressed.

My favorite garment was this silk dress; it is a pity you cannot see the back treatment, plunging deep ruching.


Big hair and, conversely, tight little funny hats were a theme in this show, reminding me of going from flappers to hair bands of the 80s:


Photos courtesy of Wireimage

One strange touch, as you can see above, were huge unwieldy necklaces--why does this one remind me of a pacifier? One worried about the necklaces bouncing upward and hitting the models in the face.

More to follow in my next post...off for another dose of ibuprofen and bourbon.

Ciao,
Elisa & Bucky the Wonderdog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...