Thursday, March 20, 2008

If Only Politician's Wives Would Go Wild...

DAHLINGS -

This past week has been so tiresome. Particularly if you are a political wife/ex-wife. First Silda Spitzer, then Dina Matos McGreevy, finally Michelle Paterson, the wife of our new governor. Don't these women ever grow tired of standing next to men they probably despise, in the glare of the spotlight, eyes downcast? They should take a page from Hillary Clinton's book, ignore the man and have an independent life of their own. (I wouldn't mind entertaining Bill Clinton while his wife is on the campaign trail. Not at all. Yum.)



Your faithful correspondent, who has been watching far too much reality television lately, wondered if Silda Spitzer would whip around and start screaming at Elliot: "I shoulda kicked your ass to the curb! You're nothing but a dog, yo!" That would be followed by mud-wrestling Ashley Alexander Dupre ala "Girls Gone Wild."

At least Michelle Paterson admitted to having her own affairs. That shows healthy self-respect, in my opinion.

But why do Americans get so overwrought about infidelity? In other countries, politicians have mistresses and nobody thinks anything of it. They don't have to give up their careers, the paparazzi don't follow them about, no fuss, no muss. As I have written before, I am a woman of broad mind and loose morals. Yours truly has participated in quite a number of, er, interesting activities that I will not detail here, but I do not feel it is my place to judge. Most of the time, anyway.

I do not believe that husbands and wives should lie to each other, but if you are intend to have more than one sexual partner in your life at the same time, at least have the courtesy to be open about it to your spouse. I was faithful to all three of my husbands...not that it was difficult, I was not married for very long.

Think about all of the trouble you're saving yourself and him/her: lying, and guilt, and the fear of scandal. And nobody standing in the spotlight, pretending to be supportive. That, to me, would be the best part of all.

Another thing I would like to point out is the duality between the extreme sexuality of our society hand in hand with the severe repression and false moralizing. How can anyone pretend to be shocked any more after watching an episode of, say, "Flavor of Love"? Or 90% of commercials for anything? Or walking by a magazine stand? I mean, really. Do grow up, mon chers.



To put it metaphorically, American culture crams sex down our collective throats, whether we want it or not. Oh, dear, now I've started thinking Deep Thoughts, and that always gives me a terrible headache.

Off to watch more reality television! I do hope "Clean House" is on.

Ciao,
Elisa & Bucky The Wonderdog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...