Thursday, September 3, 2009

Blondi's Salon: An Oasis Of Chic In A New York Desert

DAHLINGS –

So there was I, in the back of my car, driving uptown on Broadway in Manhattan for a meeting with a potential client. Then it happened. I happened to glance in the mirrored glass that separates me from my driver and gasped.

My hair was a MESS! My beautiful cascading blonde waves looked greasy! More so, because I was wearing a headband. In my hurry to pick a suitable Missoni outfit and leave, I had neglected to check my mane in the mirror, except for a glance across the room.

I couldn’t meet a potential client looking like this! Glancing out the windows of my car, all I saw were Supercuts, whatever that is. But then I looked out at Broadway, and saw:

Chandeliers.

Sparkly objects instantly get my attention, and these were huge chandeliers, hanging in a clean, chic white space filled with—salon chairs!

I ordered my driver to pull over, then called my client to say that an appointment with Meredith Viera would be delaying me a tad.

The chic chandelier’d emporium was Blondi’s Salon.

“I need a shampoo and blowout IMMEDIATELY,” I said to the lovely young blonde thing behind the desk. “And FAST. I have an important meeting!”


(Note: this does not capture the magnificence of the chandelier, but that is hardly my fault. Different lovely thing, too.)

The young lady, whose name was Stephanie, smiled and waved over a stylist, a man with long hair named Anthony. “Anthony can take you right away, Miss,” she said.

Anthony, who, it turned out, is quite the intellectual (he quoted both Dante and Virgil), took me in hand. Bucky nestled quietly in my lap under the black cover, ready to bite if Anthony's hands went any lower than my collarbone. (It's been known to happen.)

The results were magnificent, and achieved in record time! It was then that I knew I had to write about this beautiful salon, nestled on Broadway near 106th Street, next to a hardware store. Cognitive dissonance, to say the least.

The owner, darkly handsome Joseph Nasser, started Blondi’s in Los Angeles twelve years ago, before moving to New York City. He opened his first New York salon on the East Side, then another one close by, where the clientele includes celebrities, society mavens, and the crème de la crème of both sexes. The salon has been featured in such publications as New York Magazine and GQ.



Nasser was born in Lebanon, where he started cutting hair at the tender age of fourteen. His brothers were a doctor and an engineer, respectively, so young Joseph’s interest in hair was considered a tad peculiar.

However, it paid off handsomely. Joseph Nasser had noticed there were no first-class beauty salons in the neighborhood known as Morningside Heights. His Upper West Side based clients were begging him to open one. He opened it in what was the former local Obama campaign headquarters, which Nasser considered a great augury.

His hairstyling staff has worked in all of the most prestigious salons in New York City, and they have swiftly built up a loyal following. For those who are used to midtown prices, Blondi’s is surprisingly reasonable: womens’ haircuts start at $45, mens at $30. They do it all: color, extensions, makeup and even bridal makeup.

Nasser is proud that they are able to offer Japanese relaxers for the hair starting at $250, as opposed to Brazilian relaxer, which can cost upward of $600. Blondi’s Salon has a number of glowing reviews on a number of sites, including Citysearch: http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/47447359/new_york_ny/blondie_s_hair_salon.html

I have requested that Anthony do my hair during New York Fashion Week, because a girl needs to look impeccable at all times! I can think of no higher recommendation than allowing him to style my blonde locks.

Do look them up; they are always running specials and discounts as well!

Blondi's Salon
2742 Broadway
New York 10025
212-666-5505
Blondishairsalon@gmail.com


Ciao,

Elisa & Bucky the Wonderdog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...