Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Marc Bouwer Does Not Care For Skinny Models

DAHLINGS:

Before taping his “virtual runway show” with heiress Lydia Hearst last week in a studio by the Chelsea Piers, designer Marc Bouwer explained the concept behind his Spring 2010 collection. And expressed some surprising thoughts on fashion models.

When asked why he had made such a radical change from his Fall 2009 collection, which had featured soft nature colors and flowing shapes, Mr. Bouwer responded: “What is the most non-traditional spring color? Red. Mix it with white, then a rich royal blue, the prints. And of course, black.”

“My inspiration is the 80s woman,” he said of his collection. “But empowered and beautiful. My collection is the 80s with a nod to the future. Two years ago I wouldn’t be doing this.”


Marc Bouwer and Lydia Hearst
Photo by Elisa DeCarlo

I then asked him what has become my standard question: would he consider making clothes for a woman my size? Unlike other designers, he didn’t give me a blank stare, but smiled.

“Fashion is for everyone,” he replied. “Beauty exudes from the woman. My clothes are meant for all women. Embrace it, wear it. Wear clothes that make you feel beautiful. We have to use the skinny models for the camera. But I don’t like it.”

And indeed, Mr. Bouwer has designed for curvaceous celebrities Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce. His Spring 2010 collection is full of clothes that could be worn by a woman of any size. If I did not worship Oscar de la Renta, Marc Bouwer could easily become my favorite current designer.

The collection launches officially this morning at www.marcbouwer.com. I know that I shall be watching.

Ciao,
Elisa & Bucky the Wonderdog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...